The principal nursery for the trees, which were to form the origin of the planting industry, was however at Henaratgoda, in Ceylon. Here flowers first appeared upon the trees in 1881, and in the same year Dr Trimen, the Director of the Botanic Gardens, commenced experiments in tapping. The plantation was thinned out in 1882, and in 1883 260 seedling plants were raised, most of which were distributed in Ceylon. In 1884 there were over 1000 trees at Henaratgoda, but it was found necessary to thin the plantation again in 1885, and we read of 450 fine trees existing in 1887. In 1893 about 90,000 seeds were distributed to planters in Ceylon from the Henaratgoda trees, and in subsequent years similar numbers were available. Seeds were also distributed on a considerable scale by the Ceylon Botanic Department to Malaya and elsewhere, and it is curious to remark that in recent years large consignments of seed have been sent back from Ceylon and Singapore to America and the West Indies for planting purposes. At the present day about 40 of the original trees survive at Henaratgoda, the largest being upwards of ten feet in girth.