In 1855, Thomas Crawford was engaged to furnish designs for doors, to be cast in bronze, for the eastern entrance to the House wing. These designs were executed in plaster in 1864 by William H. Rinehart for $8,940, and, for many years, have been stored beneath the crypt. No appropriation has been made for their casting. The panels represent historical scenes during the days of the building of the nation.