This section is from the book "The National Capitol. Its Architecture Art And History", by George C. Hazelton, Jr. Also available from Amazon: The National Capitol Its Architecture Art and History.
In 1802, it was decided to admit reporters within the area of the Senate Chamber, and they were accordingly assigned a place by the President of the Senate. Afterwards they were removed to the gallery, but in 1835 were again given the privilege of the floor. Five years later the number of reporters was limited to two for each of the daily papers and one for each tri-weekly published in Washington. In 1841, all reporters were again assigned seats in the gallery. Six years later, the official reporters were reassigned a place on the floor. In 1859, the reporters of the Globe seem to have been placed again in the gallery, but only temporarily. Their successors, whose deft fingers facilitate the preparation of the Record, remain on the floor at all times, excepting during executive sessions. Like privileges are now accorded to official reporters in the House.