This section is from the book "The National Capitol. Its Architecture Art And History", by George C. Hazelton, Jr. Also available from Amazon: The National Capitol Its Architecture Art and History.
Madison was twice inaugurated in this old Hall of Representatives, before the restoration, on March 4, 1809 and 1813 ; Monroe once, after the restoration, on March 5, 1821, the 4th having fallen on Sunday. Chief Justice Marshall administered the oath on each occasion. Jefferson's proclamation of 1808 required the Senate to convene in extra session in the Senate Chamber. When the time came, however, they assembled in the Hall of Representatives, and there the new Senators took the oath of office. After the ceremony of the inauguration was completed, the President retired, and the Senators repaired to their own chamber. At the two other inaugurations, there being no necessity to confirm new Cabinets, no proclamations were issued convening the Senate. In 1813, Madison was escorted to the Capitol by the District cavalry, where he was received by several volunteer corps of Washington, Georgetown and Alexandria, drawn up in line. He delivered his speech in the presence of many Members of Congress, the justices of the Supreme Court, the foreign Ministers and a large gathering of ladies and gentlemen. Monroe had a less propitious day in 1821; for snow and rain had fallen during the preceding night; yet the ceremony was perhaps even more imposing within doors. Immense crowds thronged the Capitol, and at least two thousand persons gained admission to the chamber itself. The President took his place on the platform in front of the Speaker's chair. He first took the oath of office, and then, with the Chief Justice still standing at his side, delivered his inaugural. About were grouped noted dignitaries of the government and members of the foreign legations, while many ladies occupied seats in the interior. The Marine Band played as the President entered and as he left the chamber. Vice-President Tompkins had already taken the oath, on entering his second term, at his private residence on Saturday, the 3d. Here, also, on July 10, 1850, the day following the death of President Taylor, the Heads of Departments and the Senate joined the House; and at noon, William Cranch, Chief Judge of the Circuit Court of the United States for the District of Columbia, administered the oath of office to Millard Fillmore.