The Degree of Horseman may be conferred on those who take 10 of these tests:
*1. Show that they are at home in a saddle and can ride at a walk, trot, and gallop.
*2. Know how to saddle and bridle a horse correctly.
3. Can catch 6 horses in corral or on range with 12 throws of the lasso.
4. Know how to water and feed and to what amount, and how to groom a horse properly.
5. Know how to harness a horse correctly in single or double harness and to drive.
*6. Can pack 100 lbs. of stuff with diamond hitch, to stay during 4 hours of travel or 2 miles of trotting. (2 hours or 1 mile for L. L).
7. Have a knowledge of the power of endurance of horses at work and know the local regulations concerning driving.
8. Know the management and care of horses. *9. Can identify unsoundness and blemishes.
10. Know the evils of bearing or check reins and of ill-fitting harness or saddlery.
11. Know two common causes of, and proper remedies for, lameness, and know to whom he should refer cases of cruelty and abuse.
12. Are able to judge as to the weight, height, and age of horses.
13. Know 3 breeds and their general characteristics.
14. Are able to treat a horse for colic.
15. Describe symptoms and give treatment for the following: wounds, fractures and sprains, exhaustion, choking, lameness.
16. Understand horseshoeing.
*17. Can clear a 4-foot hurdle and an 8-foot water jump. 18. Pick up their hat from the ground going at full gallop on a horse not less than 13 hands high, (11 hands for L. L).