This presents no special features, but varies in appearance in different cases and at different periods of the complaint. In 32 per cent, of our cases it was described as ' clean ' or ' normal,' while in the remaining 68 per cent, it presented a greyish-brown or creamy fur, and was often stained with medicine. A moist and thickly coated tongue almost always accompanies excessive vomiting; but when pain is the chief feature of the case the organ is apt to be abnormally red, dry, and fissured. During the later stages of the disease it is often attacked by thrush. Alteration or loss of taste is frequently observed, and causes the patient to regard his food as insipid, pasty, slimy, bitter, metallic, or nauseous. Sudden aberration of taste sometimes marks the onset of melancholia or delusional insanity.