This section is from the book "Sporting Dogs. Their Points And Management In Health, And Disease", by Frank Townend Barton. Also available from Amazon: Sporting Dogs; Their Points and Management in Health and Disease.
It is hardly necessary to go beyond mentioning the possibility of poisoning by this agent.
It is a constituent of so-called " phosphor paste " largely used for the destruction of vermin, such as rats and mice.
Dogs have been known to partake of it, usually ending in death.
A most important matter is to avoid giving the dog any oily substances, if poisoned by this element.